The point of a spring break vacation is to relax in a warm and sunny place and get over both the inherent dreariness of winter and the stresses of your daily routine. Needless to say, the last thing you want is to stress out over your spring getaway because of bad planning — too many worries and mishaps can ruin the whole experience when it was supposed to be a fun and relaxing getaway.
There are a lot of things to think about before going on your spring break vacation, and it’s good to map out a checklist.
- Once you’ve figured out where you’re going, it’s important to book your tickets and have all of your travel documents in order beforehand — if you’re flying domestically you’ll need a valid photo ID, and a passport if you’re travelling internationally. If you’re going abroad, you might also need a visa, so look into the requirements on how to get it while you still have enough time before leaving. Obviously, the last thing that you want to have happen is to get stuck in the US after having already made so many arrangements. It’s a good idea to book your accommodations beforehand as well, and to think about how you’ll be travelling once you get there.
- You will also want to figure out what you need to pack (and if you don’t have a decent suitcase, now is the time to think about getting one). If you’re going to a tropical destination with a beach, remember to pack the following in case you can’t find it at your destination.
- A tote bag to carry around all of the items that you might want quick access to during the day.
- Sunscreen and aloe vera gel — the latter is great for treating sunburn and also protects you from the sun naturally.
- Sufficient outfits for your trip — for a week, you’ll probably want 2-5 swimsuits, several tops (maybe 3-5, depending), matching bottoms (a pair of jeans or two, skirts, leggings, and shorts, but don’t overdo it), something nicer to go out in, and sufficient underwear to last you the trip. You’ll also probably want something comfortable to sleep in.
If you’re going to a beach, you’ll need something to wear — both a swimsuit (or several) and some nice coverups. It’s a bit of a pain to find curve-flattering swimsuits in a brick and mortar store in the middle of winter, so head online for a quick and easy fix. Online retailers have year-round sales, and some, like swimsuitsforall.com cater to plus sizes and curvier women. If you visit swimsuitsforall online, you’ll find a great selection of swimsuits up to size 32, and an array of coverups to go along with them as well. It’s all shipped to your door and takes a lot less time than going to the mall — and of course lacks the uncertainties of what you might find if you try to shop after you get to your destination. All of this will make for more time to focus on the other aspects of your spring getaway.
Lists are a very good thing to ensure that you haven’t forgotten anything, so be sure to check and re-check a list with everything that you’ll be planning to take as well as the things that you’ll need to do before leaving, and follow through with it. This is the simplest way to avoid unnecessary stress and unforeseen mishaps.